Friday 1 November 2013

A lamp for my bedroom and other doily projects

This is one of the projects I'm working on at the moment.


 


I found this photo on Pinterest and had an immediate Aha-moment.
My great-grandma was a prolific art crocheter and knitter, and I always admired the intricate little works of art she produced.
Unfortunately, all her doilies and table cloths got lost or were given away over the years. Hey, I have to admit I did not find them particularly fashionable either. More's the pity now. 

I started looking out for doilies at second hand market and in thrift shops, but it seems that everybody got rid of them at some point or other, and the crop is disappointingly meager.

Next step ... make them myself!

Here are some of the ones I have made in the last weeks.







And I need a lot more, so I will keep crocheting.
I'm also going to try and knit one.
And when I have enough of them, I'll keep you posted on the construction of the lamp. 

I have found some more projects to do with doilies. 
They are the perfect decoration for the family dinner on Christmas Eve !




http://craftsbyamanda.com/2011/01/burlap-doily-luminaries-rustic-meets.html


I think I'm going all out and make this wreath for the front door too

http://thecharitywedding.com/2011/08/15/diy-doily-wreath/
I finally have enough doilies to start making my lamp. Keep an eye on this blog: I am going to post step by step photos.



2 comments: